Sunday, January 07, 2007

Church

We went to church today.
We had sort of been talking about it, but Matthew has been asking us since Christmas, and we figured that if a child is asking to go to church you should probably go. So, we got up nice and early and headed to the 9am service. (we would have been up anyway, but maybe not showered and dressed).
It went pretty well. Matthew loved it. Seriously. He kept running around shouting "I love church. Church is fun".
It was pretty impressive. Someone actually greeted us when we came in and took us to the room for Matt. He was in the toddler program, and it's a great Sunday School room. They had amazing toys, there were tons of kids his age, and the person running it was really helpful.
And, then on our way to the sanctuary we walked past the kids' service. Now, this is pretty neat. They actually have a church service, with music and stuff for kids (I'm guessing ages 4-12). And, seriously, the kids were rocking out when we walked past.
Our service was pretty upbeat too. Lots of music, people seemed friendly and the service wasn't painfully long.
So, do we keep going?
It's been a really long time since I've gone to church religiously. (ha ha - get it?) I grew up going to church every Sunday. To make a long story short, the church I went to for a really long time had a major major split, they fired the pastors, and about half the congregation left. And, as a very vocal 17 year old, I stood up at the final church meeting, and basically told off all the deacons at the church. I wasn't exactly welcome to return to that church EVER.
If you want to talk screwed up by religion, I'm the person to call. It was horrible and not something I ever want to re-live.
It's also not something that I want to expose my son to.
Though granted most churches don't split up like that, and most 17 year olds aren't in the position to tell the leadership of an entire church that they don't know how to run a church.
But this is what was running through my mind while my angelic toddler was demanding to go to church.
So, what now? Where do we go from here?
Matthew loved Sunday School. Like really loved it. So we'll probably go back. But, I do know that for now I'm not getting over-involved. To steal a blogging term, I'm going to be a lurker. I'm going to sit behind the scenes and I'm going to watch. And, contrary to my extremely social nature I'm not going to join everything. If there is a church social committee I'm most definitely not going to join it.
But, after Sunday School his cousins came over. And let me tell you. Sunday school did not rub off enough. He was pushing and shoving, and, well, being a two-year old boy.
So ...
As for church. We'll see. I'm not ready to commit yet. But we'll go again. And maybe I'll get used to the idea of it.
So, I'm curious ...
Does anyone have any opinions of kids and religion?

3 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Laural,

I'm Dan. I am the hall monitor during GraceLand. I wanted to say hi to you this morning but things were hectic and it didn't workout. You had emailed my wife, Linda, this week. I met Matt today and I can attest that he had a ball! I saw your name on the sign-in sheet and asked Mike where he was. I expected him to be shy, in a corner somewhere but there he was in the middle of the room playing and laughing. We'll try to say hi next time.

Take care,
Dan Lord

Laural Dawn said...

Thanks, Dan! Matthew loved it. He kept telling us he had lots of new friends. And, we felt welcome.
We'll look for you next time - I think we'll be back next week (all my church issues aside).

Deborah Fantasia said...

I have a couple things to say, first I think that if you're doing this (only) for Matt, which is basically what's said through out your post, maybe that's the wrong reason.
My little guy who's 2 1/2 may have fun but he wouldn't remember the next Sunday that it was "church day." Unless it was told to him.
It's not like he's 7 or 8 and has been going for years.
This is something you and your husband have to discuss. I would just make sure that if you do decide to continue to go that it's because it's what you believe in (by what you said you don't seem to sure) not because you feel compelled because Matt wants to go.
I think religion, church, and God are very personal and very serious choices !
I know so many friends and relatives that don't like going to church but only go for the kids.
To me something seems a off about that.
So many people seem to go because it's "the thing to do" or "everyone else does" and those just seem to be really poor reasons to me.
So there's my two cents :)
I don't want to sound "preachy" but I figured you asked so why not answer !
Whatever you decide I hope you find happiness within it !!:)
Deborah