Saturday, August 18, 2007

Paint, Dog and More about Moi

We continued on our quest to update our house this weekend.
On Saturday we tackled our bedroom. By tackled I mean Mike cut chunks of our bedroom wall out in order to move electrical work. At one point we could see outside. It was a little unreal. The purpose of moving the electrical was to build a new closet for our bedroom.
While Mike built, I primed and painted about 3/4 of our room. It was FANTASTIC to get rid of the horrible pink walls. Or at least 3/4 of them.
The other quarter will be painted soon, once the dry wall mud (?) dries and Mike sands. We still haven't figured out if we're going to get a closet system (with all of the shelves, etc) or if we want just basic rods. Oh! The decisions. For now Mike's clothes are still all upstairs in the current bedroom closet (which will be closed off at a later date). And all mine are downstairs in my lovely closet. Baby steps.
I'm honestly the most excited about hanging my vermont artwork. I showed the photos to my parents who were really quite impressed with them.
And, what did Matthew do while we were doing our home renovations? He went on two different hikes with my parents. So, he had a good weekend too. That, and Treehouse did a great job of entertaining him.

Speaking of television ... we recently got DVR which is kind of like tivo. This means that we can tape all sorts of shows - and all the episodes of the show. Here's something most people don't know about me - I LOVE Dog the Bounty Hunter. (don't ask - though there are loads of closet Dog fans out there). And, since we've been recording every episode I've been watching it a lot. So much so that I've had dreams that I'm being hunted down by Dog and Beth. And I keep dreaming Leland is my best friend. I KNOW. Weird. I actually woke up pretty hysterical on Friday night because I was so scared by the dream. I must stop watching this show!

And, Finally ...


One of the best things about blogging, I think, is learning more about other people. It fascinates me to read their opinions and interests. So, when AndreAnna of Diapering Madwoman offered to ask me some questions - I was game. Here are her questions ...

1) You're a working mom like me. Do you find yourself defending this choice often or do people accept the path you've chosen?
I've found myself defending this less and less as Matthew gets older. When Matt was little and I first went back to work it was really hard on me - and so I think every time someone commented I was totally hurt and felt I had to defend myself. I also think that when you're around other moms who are also deciding what they will do everyone shares their opinion. It's a little daunting.
As I have become more comfortable with it I've realized that if someone has an issue with it that's their problem. I think no matter what choice you make (stay at home, work part time or work part-time ... not to mention your child care choice) if you are confident in it people will leave you alone.
Plus, I've also surrounded myself with other moms who understand my decision. That's not to say all my friends have chosen to go back to work, but thy have embraced the decision they have made and don't judge.
But, I am truly in awe of SAHMs!!!!

2) What is your favorite form of exercise?
Good question! I enjoyed running a lot - not in the sense that I'd become a marathon runner, but I got an amazing sense of achievement from it, and occasionally an adrenaline high. I've taken a break from it for some, shall we say, personal reasons, but will hopefully take it up next spring.
I LOVE yoga, and I think I'll start it again in the fall.
And, while I'm on the topic, I LOATHE pilates and suck at any classes that involve much rhythm. I can proudly say that I was so bad at step class that I actually have thrown teachers off. I love the idea of group exercise, but I think I frighten people.

3) What kid show do you hate and wish they would stop airing?
Big Comfy Couch - I cannot stand "Lunette and Molly, a clown and her dolly ..." I really, really can't. The whole show bugs me. And the bizarro stretching clock thing she does is frightening. Plus, her ten-second-tidy up involves throwing things under the couch which is a ridiculous thing to teach children. She needs some bins or something.
Do you even have this show in the States?
Otherwise, Max and Ruby. Do not get me started.
I have to admit, I love WonderPets and sometimes watch with Matt because it's cute.

4) Do you like being a Canadian? Anything the US offers that you think you miss out on? (Other than fluff?)
I love being Canadian. There are some great things that I really appreciate like good health care, and gay marriage.
However, I love Vermont. I'm not sure if that really answers your question, but we don't have a province here that is equal to Vermont. I think if I could I would move there. And, I know my family would come visit because they love it too. I actually have debated buying a timeshare at Trapp Family Lodge - I think it may be one thing I would regret not doing in the future. I love it that much.
And, fluff!!!
(actually, my husband says that we do have fluff here, it's just that I was raised by a health nut mom and a marshmallow hating dad, so as if they would have even thought to buy it!!!)
Oh, and of course CHEESECAKE FACTORY!!!!!

5) Are you a girly girl or more of a tom boy?
This is easy. I am a total girly girl. I love pink, I love makeup and jewelry and clothes and shopping. I really didn't like gym class. I hate things like camping and climbing trees and building stuff. I'm definitely a girly girl!

If you'd like to play, here are the rules, copied from AndreAnna's page.

Interview rules:
1. Leave me a comment saying “Interview me.”
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post containing your the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pick me! I want to play!
PS What other Jodi Picoult books have you read - I don't know which one to read next!
PPS Sometimes I watch Dog too. Shame.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Good luck with the renos! There's nothing more stressful or satisfying at the same time... the stress part really comes in when everything is at its messiest... but then when it's done, wowsers!

AndreAnna said...

Good answers! And totally HATE the wonderpets - the damn duck has a speech problem.. how is that helping preschoolers? LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm a closet Dawg fan. LOL

Can't wait to see what the closet looks like after!!

Mandy said...

I also love to watch Dog...I can't really figure out why, though.

Oh, and I haven't forgoteen about the MeMe you tagged me in. I just got batteries for my camera...lol! (I know, it is very sad that it took me almost a week to buy batteries).