Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Toilet Training ... And an Update

In the last couple of days Matthew has been into the whole idea of using the potty.
We haven't pushed toilet training.
It's not that we're too lazy (maybe a little) so much as he just doesn't seem ready. And if there's one thing I know for sure about my child it's that if he doesn't want to do somehting he won't. In fact, he will do the exact opposite.
So, we've left it.
We've been slowly introducing pull-ups, we've been encouraging him to use the potty in the morning and when he goes to bed. But, we haven't been pushing it.
But, Sunday he told me he wanted to wear underwear. He wore them all morning. He got stickers for using the toilet. And then at noon he wanted a diaper.
That was fine.
But then yesterday at daycare he decided he wanted to use the toilet. It was out of the blue. The teachers always ask him, but usually he says no.
He came home yesterday in a dry diaper - and apparently he used the toilet all day. They kept asking, and he kept saying yes. It was like he just suddenly decided that he wants to do this.
Here's what I love about my daycare. They just took his cue. They immediately made up a sticker chart for him and went with it. They didn't call us to double check. They realized he was excited, and just went with it.
So, today he asked to wear his Lightning McQueen underwear. I said yes, and we used the potty twice before we drove him to daycare. And, he didn't have an accident en route which is a good thing.
We're now in full toilet training mode. At daycare they are going to see where it goes. At home we will encourage it.
Part of me is excited. Part of me realizes that I ran out of Tide this weekend, and I know I need to buy more. Less money on diapers - more money on laundry.
Good times.

Just a little WW update - for those of you wondering. Week 2 of following the program and I lost another 2.8 lbs. Not bad. Must be all the yummy sushi!

2 comments:

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of potty training! Fun times!

Yes, you had really better stock up on Tide. I've been doing at least one load a day of just her clothes!

Blog said...

Wow! That's so exciting! Way to go Matty!

And, way to go YOU with the weight loss. Awesome! :)