Friday, October 05, 2007

So - Things are Good!

I went to my first ob appointment today. And thankfully everything is fine, normal even.
I have to admit that since last week I've been doubting everything. Sure I've been feeling like crap and trying to remind myself that morning sickness = pregnant and no more bleeding is a good thing, but when you're not at the baby kicking stage yet there's nothing to really gauge it by.

So, I was looking forward to today's appointment. And all was well.

Mike joined me because I didn't want to go to the first appointment on my own. There are reasons for this. First of all, last time I had a midwife, and there was just a little office we'd driven past. This is part of a hospital and there was an ultrasound to follow (and blood tests as it turned out) and I suck at directions. I would have been wandering for ages.

It was also nice to have him at the appointment.

So, here are some of the good things. One aspect I've been debating and discussed with my family doctor, was the c-section option. So I brought this up and my ob was totally on board. She said given the reasons (a dislocated tailbone for starters) that she is supportive. The only thing she asked is that I wait to make a decision on this until closer to the due date because my mind may change. She made it abundantly clear that I can make the decision anytime or change my mind anytime, but that she just wants me to decide based on this pregnancy. I thought that was awesome. It put my mind at ease - and I love that I have options. LOVE. She's pretty cool.

We also discussed my weight and my concerns. I have only gained 6 lbs, so she wasn't worried but she said that if I feel I'm gaining too much then she'll refer me to a dietitian. I like that idea.

And then we went for an ultrasound. It was a good experience. I have a healthy, growing baby and all the signs are normal. The neck size is fine, the arms and legs and head are there and the heart beat was 153 bpm. So normal. So wonderfully wonderfully normal. I feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel like I can actually trust now that things will be fine. I know I have to believe it, but I needed to hear that heartbeat again. It was a beautiful noise.

7 comments:

Ruthie said...

Yay! I'm so glad. Are you going to find out if it's a boy or girl?

Names?

motherbumper said...

I'm glad it went well. I'm with you on the gauge - it seems so much easier when there is a little movement to remind you that everything is a-ok. Your doc sounds cool and options are always good. Take care of yourself and happy thanksgiving!

AndreAnna said...

I'm so happy you have this weight lifted. It's such a relief to see the heartbeat after a scare and I'm so happy you have a doctor you like - it's so important.

And with a HR that high, it sure seems like a girl to me!!

Yes, what about names? I hear Charlotte and AndreAnna are awesome girl's names! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yay! Glad it went okay, it's always so stressful before that first appointment!

Blog said...

hooray! LOVE that you have that first appt over with, and that everything's going great. It's so awesome that your OB's so openminded, too. the only thing with the c-section is that it's a longer recovery -- which might make it more difficult for you with Matt...? In my labour, they were on the verge of sending me for a c-section -- but the ob really wanted it as a last resort BECAUSE I have the monkey. She said it was for the monkey's own good, not mine or baby's, that I NOT have the c-section. Something to think about.

SciFi Dad said...

I'm glad everything checked out OK. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

moplans said...

Congrats! That is all great news.