Sunday, June 10, 2007

Weekend Fun

This weekend was packed full of stuff. You can tell it's the beginning of summer because it seems like there's so much to do and not enough time to do it in.
The weekend started with a very long commute home Friday night.
I left work at 4:30 and got home at almost 8pm. I was on the train and it stopped because there were trees fallen on the track. Luckily I had a really good book and I went to the washroom before I left - so it wasn't so bad. It was slightly annoying when they told us we were all going back to one stop then went forward to the next. Then they got the chain saw out to cut trees. It was a little startling. But, we finally made it to a station in one piece where I got off and had my husband pick me up. Fun.
On Saturday we went to Peterborough for, I kid you not, a monster truck show and demolition derby. I know - I bet you didn't think I had it in me. I wisely kept my Coach bag at home, wore some old jeans and actually got into it. It was pretty fun. There were some scary moments like when one of the demolition derby cars burst into flames - but everyone was fine.
My favourite moment of the night was when Matthew turned to everyone in the crowd and shouted "they drive just like Mommy."
Smart child.
And then today we went to Woofstock. One of my friends had helped to arrange a walkathon for dogs, and so she asked if Matthew would be willing to walk her dog. Of course I said yes. I really quite like dogs, as does Matthew. And I knew he'd have fun. We really did. Her dog, Sammy, was adorable, and soooo good. I was a little worried when we handed over the leash (I had it in my hand as well) but it was totally fine. This dog was so well behaved and he just walked right along. It was impressive. Matt had visions of bringing Sammy home ... he is way too beloved for that, but it was still pretty cute.
And then this afternoon ... I sewed!
Seriously.
I pull out my sewing machine very rarely. I purchased my sewing machine when I thought that all good mothers made their children's Halloween costumes (this was, obviously, Matt's first Halloween because I have since learned that is a myth).
I suck at sewing. Of all the comments I ever received on my report cards, there is one I distinctly remember from 8th grade family studies (home ec) - "Laural should consider careers that don't require sewing. She is a very good cook."
Yep. I'm that bad at sewing.
But - this week is the Rat Race. In addition to the fact that the Rat Race is a race, there is another side to it - it's a costume contest.
Now, I've worked really hard to be able to do 5k, but try as I may, I'm doubting that I will come in first. So my friend (and colleague) and I have decided we will kick butt in the costume contest. I had to pull out my handy dandy sewing machine to whip up our amazing costumes. I'd post a picture, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. So stay tuned. Let's just say it is very original.
I did a demonstration for my parents, who are quite used to me, and even they agreed that we had a costume that was creative and yet I will still be able to run in.
I'm just grateful that the race doesn't start till 7:30 - most people at work will be gone before we don our outfits (and luckily my division runs our company intranet. I am quite positive I can talk them out of posting the pictures!)
And now, to top off the weekend, I'm watching Priscilla Queen of the Desert.
I feel like I need another weekend to get over this one.

6 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Sounds like a fun weekend.

The best report card comment I have is "kill this child now before he has a chance to breed"

Too late.

With Love, Fat Girl said...

The one year I miss Woofstock, you go!!! What Matthew said was priceless. I'm going to check out the Downward Dog book.... when you're done, if you have some more reading time, pick up "The Glass Castle" or "Left Bank", I just read both and they're awesome!!!

When are we going to rebook?

Urban Daddy said...

That is one of the most action-packed, most mixed up weekends I have read about. Sewing, demolition derby, the Queens of the desert movie (saw it... very funny), woofstock. OY! That is a month of variety for us. LOL. We have our set places to go, besides trips to various parks in Toronto, we like this zoo (this year), walks on Avenue Road, trips to the park and other such local stuff. Driving with the kids is a nightmare. Good on you.

LoriD said...

LOL! My husband runs for cover when I pull out the sewing machine. I have the mouth of a truck driver when I attempt doing anything with that stupid invention.

I love the "drives like mommy" comment. My husband set off the smoke detector when making breakfast on Sunday and my four-year-old smiled and said "Daddy's cooking!"

Blog said...

SEWING! You ARE ambitious! And, woofstock sounds seewwwww ;) adorable!

Anonymous said...

My son would LOVE to go to a Monster Truck show!

Sounds like a full weekend - I had a full one as well. And kudos for sewing! My mom is a pro seamstress, and I can only sew buttons.

Bravo! Now go take a nap to rest up for the week!