Friday, May 18, 2007

Why I'm Loving Being a Mom Right Now

It's been a long week. Very long.
But, through it all I've watched my son grow and change so much. It's pretty amazing to me.
I remember when he was little and I always hoped that he would be a sensitive and loving child. Someone told me the best way to help a child develop this is by modelling this behaviour. I'm not perfect at it - but I try.
Yesterday I realized that my son is really learning.
We came home from the funeral yesterday and I was exhausted. He had slept in the car, and was ready to play, but I really just needed a little break.
So, I asked him if he would mind sitting on the couch for awhile, watching treehouse, and having a bottle of chocolate milk while I had some quiet time.
We cuddled up on the couch. He shared his blanket. I drifted off (not completely since I was still aware he was awake).
At one point he got off the couch and said "I'll be right back." I heard him stomping up the stairs. A minute later he came back with his giant Eeyore.
He said to me "here. You need to cuddle Eeyore. He will make you feel better."
Then he got the blanket, covered Eeyore and I up, and played on the carpet.
It was the most loving gesture ever. I napped off and on, for about an hour. The entire time Matt watched tv right next to me, and played, quietly, with his cars.
When I woke up he went and got me some cheese, because "you need a snack after nap time" (at daycare they wake up and have a snack.)
We had to go to the grocery store after that, and he was so good. He kept giving me hugs and listening and not running away.
It was a pretty amazing day.

PS Here's a link to a blog that I've been enjoying immensly lately. It's sometimes funny, sometimes deep, and I love that she's turned the comments off. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Just wanted to say I saw you on tv this week! Congratulations!! It was interesting to see you after reading your blog. Kind of weird since I don't know you...I just drifted onto your blog awhile ago and liked it...
Anyway, you and your hubby seem like a great couple. Very caring toward each other and loving. Didn't see much of Matty, but he is a sweetie!
I really liked the suit you were wearing and the wrap dress was really nice. You looked great!
Again, congratulations!
J