Monday, January 15, 2007

Just something I'm thinking about

Yesterday I had a conversation with a friend of mine who is a runner.
I was telling him how I'd starting going back to the gym, and that for some reason I have this running bug, and I keep thinking about running a 5k.
It's not like I have done this EVER.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not a running. I don't have a runner's body, I don't have a runner's stamina, and I have asthma.
And, as this friend pointed out to me - I don't exactly have the mindset of a runner. (that would be a mindset that focuses on one thing).
Now, I should tell you about this friend of mine. First of all, the reason I saw him yesterday was because he was celebrating a birthday - his 65th!! The man runs marathons. He's incredible. I know him through his son, a friend (and sometimes boyfriend) of mine in high school. So, yep, if anyone has any right to think they know how my mind works he probably would be one of those people.
But what I have going for me is a somewhat obsessive streak. If I want to obtain a goal, I usually do - through sheer will power.
In this case I will need willpower and a whole lot of stamina.
So we sat and figured out a bit of a plan in order for me to be able to run a 5k by my birthday (that is May 20th - mark your calendars, people, I like chocolate cake!). This is not to say I will run the whole thing. I think the goal is to make it through 5 k even if that means crawling part of the way.
And, I figure what is not to love about the runner's life? You get an uninterrupted time to listen to music, you get into shape, and you are encouraged to eat a whole ton of carbs!!! I love it.
So, tonight I will stick to my plan.
We'll see how long this lasts.
Mind you, tomorrow I'm attempting belly dancing. Seriously. I've done it once before and it is not something I am good at. I plan to drag my sister - after all I am going to Pilates ....

3 comments:

Blog said...

You know what's not to love about a runner's life? Sore knees and shin splints! Make sure you stretch and take it easy! :) I personally fill my workout schedule with NIA classes. Love it! :)

Deborah Fantasia said...

Wow, you ARE motivated !! That's great, I wish I were that motived when it comes to being active. :(
Belly dancing sounds fun ! I thought it about it a long time ago, but wasn't for sure how much of a workout I'd get.
Is it pretty good ?
Deborah

I have a Latin dance workout video and it's really fun doing the salsa and chachacha !

Anonymous said...

that is tooo weird! I was just saying to my bf last night that I want to do a 5K! But, I'd have to do a walk/run combo cause I'm not a 'runner' either! I actually had a training program for beginners who want to do a 5k run, and it lays out day-by-day how to train for it - you're supposed to begin 2 months before the run. i'll see if i can dig it up. Maybe we could do it together - in our pretty yoga pants....(and stop for starbucks along the way!) oh the fun. BFAW#1