Friday, May 05, 2006

Commuting with a Toddler - Reasons to Love and Hate Public Transit

I can't decide if I love or hate public transit (the TTC).
I love that it is convenient since we bought a condo with bus stops at our door. Sadly that does not make me enjoy the bus or the subway or the wait in between the two or the fact that there is no consistency to the schedule.
I am okay with all of that. But, throw a toddler into the mix and it can be a recipe for disaster or an incredibly fun trip.

Yesterday, not so fun. The subway leg of the trip went well, but the bus was too sunny and horror of horrors I had his black sunglasses not the Thomas sunglasses and a full out temper tantrum ensued. He managed to climb out of the stroller, flip it over and throw himself to the floor in the midst of a completely packed bus.

I finally understood the story of Moses parting the Red Sea. Everyone just sort of seperated so he could sprawl out and scream.

I managed to pick up the stroller, most of our belongings and my screaming child fairly quickly and tried to avoid all glares of the annoyed passengers. The other funny part - due to a juice incident at daycare Matthew was wearing a very girly yellow flowered shirt - lovely. That was a long bus ride.

Somedays, though, it's a different story.

Like last week when we rode the bus with a man and his guide dog. Matt was in his glory when the dog licked him and had everyone on the bus laughing. ("I sing to Doggie" and "I love you Doggie" over and over. It was really adorable). And, there's one bus I regularly catch where a very kind gentleman always offers me his seat, even when there are several other empty seats. It's very nice.

So I guess there is good and bad!

1 comment:

Her Bad Mother said...

We only started braving the TTC a month or so ago, and yes, daunting doesn't even begin to describe it.

Thanks for commenting the other day. And leaving a trail back here... :)