Sunday, March 07, 2010

Amazing Women

So as it turns out, Saturday was International Women's Day.
I didn't give it much thought at the time (admittedly, I didn't even know until I walked past an upscale lingerie store that had signs declaring the right thing to do for International Women's Day was to get a good bra fitting. Really?)
Ironically, I ended up spending Saturday with 3 different women: one I've known my whole life, one I met in highschool, and one I met just recently. All so different. Yet all who play such a big role.
My sister spent the day with me. I've been trying to reorganize my house. It's a disaster. And, as we went through my closets and drawers I realized that this is someone I can trust with anything. As I whined my way through Ikea and home depot and practically threw a temper tantrum as she made me sort through every piece of clothing I owned, I knew she could take it. And, unconditional love and acceptance is a wonderful gift.
I also had the chance to have coffee with a woman I've long considered a mentor. I met her when I was in highschool. Unhappy with the co-op placement I had (at a crappy newspaper) I begged my teacher to let me switch to a different placement. I found this woman from the yellow pages, called and asked if she would be interested in letting me learn from her. That was 15 years ago, and I still am learning from her. Not all the lessons are about work. In fact, I'd say that a lot of what I've learned from her is by watching her raise incredible daughters who are taking on the world. I can only hope that my children one day emulate them. And I can only hope that one day I can inspire someone the way she has inspired me.
Finally, I spent the evening having a drink with a new friend. She's younger than me. Her kids are younger than mine. And our friendship is still new. We don't have that comfort of old friends, and yet we connect on many levels - and sometimes the beginnings of friendships are really fun. The craziest part of it all is that she's a little younger and her kids are a little younger, and she asks me for advice - about schools and parenting and going back to work. Me. The person who can look back at my first year of being a mom and thinking I would never survive. And she's asking me for advice. I can't get over it.
And that to me is International Women's Day. It's not about whether you can relate to the feminist movement (I often can't) It's not about what you do. Or how well you do it. Or how many kids you have (if you have any).
To me it's about giving what you can - and taking what you need.
And if International Women's Day makes me appreciate the women in my life ... I'm all for it.

3 comments:

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Having amazing women in our lives is so important to our happiness and survival!

Just a year ago I did the same with my sister's closet. You only do that with people who you really love, that's for sure! What a job.

I have a gf from high school whom is the only person who I truly trust with going through my wardrobe and going bra and bathing suit shopping and who will give me a true, honest opinion. She has patience and knows exactly how to be honest, but in a kind way.

Here's to amazing women!

Great post.

WarsawMommy said...

Here in Poland, it's a BIG DEAL celebration. Mostly becausae the Communists institutionalised the hell out of it. Also, Poland had no Valentine's Day until about 6 years ago, so it was kind of the Polish equivalent.

Happy Women's Day, a bit late!

Donna Papacosta said...

Laural, I am delighted that you made that call in high school. I was not looking for a co-op student, but I so admired your gumption in making the call... The rest is history!