Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Prunes

The other day I had a doctor's appointment and one of the main things that came out of it (at least from my perspective) is my need to lose weight.

Two years post-partum is beyond long enough to be holding on to baby weight. So, I decided to buckle down, sign up for Weight Watchers and lose some weight. I've started going to the gym again, and of course I have to watch what I eat. We also threw out all our junk (or put it where only Mike can reach it) and I went on a healthy food shopping trip. Our cart was loaded with things we should be buying anyway like fruits, veggies and whole grains. And, for some reason I decided to pick up a container of prunes.

Why? I have no clue. They just struck me as healthy. I know they are because when I worked at a senior's residence they were a big hit. Actually, we served stewed prunes and this other dish which was a mixture of prune juice, apple sauce and all-bran. It sat in the fridge all night and many people ate it at breakfast. Seriously. (To digress for a second - this was an active living complex not a nursing home)


So, I decided that I too should hit the prunes. Afterall, in 2 years I will be 30.

They aren't so bad. Actually, prunes are a pretty yummy snack -- in moderation. The only problem is that Matt thinks they are the best thing in the world. I have never seen a child eat a food like this. When I ask him what he wants he has actually swayed from asking for chocolate milk - he just wants prunes.

Last count tonight was 12 prunes. Truthfully, I don't think any of my seniors would have eaten 12 prunes in one sitting. Maybe they knew better.

Thank God that tomorrow is Friday and Matthew is in daycare. It may be a messy day.

No comments: